[oletrucks] OD repair of 55-59 units:fixing an enlarged bearing seat?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] OD repair of 55-59 units:fixing an enlarged bearing seat?
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:29:58 EST
    Hi, Steve, you mentioned you had a book covering repair of the OD tranny.
I have a '58 unit out of an Belair wagon, was going to rebuild it to
eventually use in my '57 Chevy car. I had it taken down at one of my club
Tech Sessions, the guy who had rebuilt several showed me where the rearmost
bearing seat in the rear housing is enlarged, due to side pressures. Since
this is the actual rear trans housing, the tapered end piece, and specific to
the OD trans, how do you fix this particular problem? Is there any way to get
an insert made to fit the housing so the bearing will seat straight and tight
again? Can you knurl the seat so it raises the surface some ensuring a tight
fit? The tranny was in decent condition other than this, it had some small
teeth chunks missing on some of the planetary gears, but nothing else seemed
too badly damaged to warrent replacement, and even this guy said I could
probably reuse the gears. It's missing the shifting solenoid, though (
expensive part, $100+ ! ), and I've just had it sitting in some plastic bags
for the last 3-4 years, not knowing what else to do with it at the moment. If
anyone has a solution for this, it would be welcome as you can hardly find OD
tranmissions, much less the unique rear tail piece for one. Thanks for any
help, guys.

Jerry Casper
'57 Chevy 210 4-dr sedan(s), 3
'55 TF Chevy Suburban