[oletrucks] Buddy's misbehavin'

To: "Bob Adler" <Advdesign1@aol.com>, "W&D" <haist2@home.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Buddy's misbehavin'
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:39:01 -0600
Guys,

First, thanks to all of you out there for all your help so far.

I got convinced that the problem with the '46 babbit engine not starting too
well and dying (even when warm) was the heat riser since my problem has only
occurred since it has been cold and wet.  A guy from Minnesota emailed and
said he was sure that the heat riser and carburetor icing was the problem.  So
now the carburetor and exhaust and intake are apart on the driveway.  And,
yes, the heat riser is not stuck anymore.  (I do need to put a split pin in
the shaft because the flapper is loose on the shaft, but no big deal.)

I thought that since it was apart I would paint it correctly.  So hence my
question, what color should the exhaust manifold be?  What color should the
intake manifold be? And to confirm, the carb should be left alone with the
small tin cover being black, yes?

Also, another strange thing - there was a little puddle of gas standing in the
bottom of the intake manifold.  Is this normal?

Last strange thing.  There is a roar when the truck is moving.  It is not
related to the engine speed and does not seem to be coming from the brakes.
Could it be the differential?  What fluid do I add to the differential?
Where?  How much?

Though faced with much adversity, I am still hoping to be up and running in
February.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton stock, "Buddy"
1948 Chevrolet 3100, soon to be deluxe