Re: [oletrucks] '59 rear end parking BREAKS...or Brakes....

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 rear end parking BREAKS...or Brakes....
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:12:05 -0800
Hi all,
I used pretty much the same method as mentioned below. I installed a 78
1/2ton rear in our 49 3100 and used the original 78 e-brake cables. I
removed the 49 cable ends from the clevises, kept them and the pins. The 78
cables were too long, but that can be used as an advantage. I went to the
local hardware store and bought a couple bubble pak horseshoe cable clamps
along with the metal horseshoe shaped cable guide. I just loosened the
adjustment on the original 49 actuator crossbar, so when complete it would
allow adjustment (tightening) of the cables. I put the clevis on with the
original pin and cotter pin on each side, then put the horseshoe guide
through the clevis, followed by the 78 cable end. Pull the cable reasonably
tight, then secure by tightening the two bolts on the clamp. It's been on
the road since last May, a little over 6K miles with no problems. It's
simple and neat and works great.
>Please give us more details, I am having to face the same situation and was
>thinking of a mickey mouse way to do the same.
>
> > I cable clamped the mechanical linkage to  the wire cable on mine.
> > 51 GMC 5 window
> > Houston, TX
>
> > Date: Thursday, January 18, 2001 10:39 AM
> > Subject: [oletrucks] '59 rear end parking BREAKS...or Brakes....
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >Still lurking out here in digest land.  I have a friend  who has a 1950
> > 3100 that he has replaced the rear with a 1959 1/2 ton rear.  He is now
> > scratching his head as to what parking brake cables to use.  I havent seen
> > the setup, but apparantly they use different cables and hook to the action
> > arm different than the AD trucks.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer
e-mail - bfischer@utm.net  or  robert.f.fischer.jr@syntegra.com