Re: [oletrucks] Fw: door weatherstripping

To: "Slim" <loebig@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fw: door weatherstripping
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:43:17 -0600
Slim,

The latch will pull the door in to compress the weather-stripping.  I have the
Steele products rubber on my door.  My door sticks out slightly less than
1/16" once I adjusted the latch striker in.  But with the aging of the rubber
it will lose it's bounciness slightly.

My rule of thumb is adjust the latch in twice as much and move it out half of
the distance if it is too much.  Never had a problem with it since then.  Move
your striker plate in about half the distance you are trying to get rid of.

I will have to agree with Bob on the issue of the doors sticking out slightly
as when my father had bought them new for his business the doors were never
flush with the openings.

My father has a completely original, nothing changed at all, not even the
belts or hoses 1 1/2 ton AD.  It was an emergency fire truck, fortunately
never had seen a road except for servicing.  I have compared alot of items I
purchased to it and try to find the right item.  I have taken alot of pictures
of various areas to compare to what I have and what is right.

The only other thing I would check would be your door alignment.  Make sure
the gap is as consistent as possible, maybe make the front gap slightly
smaller than the rear of the door, as the front area of weather-stripping will
compress more than the rear.  Then adjust the striker plate.

Jon