[oletrucks] TF steering box question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] TF steering box question
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:04:33 -0600
Can I remove the side cover (3 bolts and the backslash adjustment)
on my 57 GMC steering box and easily put it back on?

The lubricant currently in (actually slowly leaking out of) the
box is typical 90w gear lube.  I have finally purchased some of
the proper lube (GM part # 1052182, $6.00 a tube at my local
Pontiac/GMC dealer) and would like to get as much of it as
possible into the steering box.

There is no drain plug on the box.  If I remove the side cover I
could get most of the gear lube out, but I am afraid that I
might not be able to get the cover back on.  I'd rather let it
ooze 90w than remove the box from the truck.  This is a V8, so there
is only a few inches clearance between the cover side of the box
and the exhaust manifold.

The lubricant (1052182) is about the color and consistency of old (not
graphite) chassis grease.

Your learned experience is welcomed.