Re: [oletrucks] TF steering box question

To: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF steering box question
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:05:17 -0600
Bill,

First disconnect the pitman arm, as you will have to readjust back to where
you started.

You have to loosen the locknut on the end of the sector shaft (bottom of the
steering box toward frame), then take out the lash adjustment by turning the
lash adjuster a few turns counterclockwise.  This will remove the load from
the worm bearings caused by the close meshing of the rack and sector teeth.

Then loosen the lock nut on the worm bearing thrust screw, then turn the
screw a few turns counterclockwise.

Put a pan or other absorbent cloth under the steering box.

Now remove the side cover.  If the sector does not clear the opening in the
housing easily, turn the worm shaft by hand until it can.

Now reinstall in the reverse, remember how many turns you turned out your
adjustments.  I don't have the torque specs handy right now, but should
later tonight.

Jon 50 3104
Chicago burbs