Re: [oletrucks] electrical question....tail lights

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, "Ole Truckers"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] electrical question....tail lights
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:47:42 -0500
Tim, it's been about 2 years since I installed my brake spring, but here are
some of the things I remember........
1)  Got my spring at the LAPD (local auto parts dealer) for about 2 bucks.
Just get a generic clutch/brake spring.
2)  I left the old spring on rather than trying to take it off.  I figured
with the new spring and the old spring, surely the brake pedal would come up
like it's supposed to.  Sure 'nuff, it worked.
3)  Hardest part for me was figuring out how to get the new spring on.  I
pulled and pulled, but couldn't stretch the stiff spring enough to get it
anchored in the right place.  A list member (I think Grant or Doug) finally
showed me the easy way.  Just cut a piece of old, very stiff wire (about 5-6
inches long) and make a small hook on one end.  Take the spring and put it
on at one end......the end closest to the base of the brake pedal.  Then,
hook the other end of the spring with the hook on your stiff wire.  Clamp
onto the other end (non-hook end) of the stiff wire with a pair of
vice-grips.  The vice grips will give you something to pull with so you can
stretch the spring and hook it to the anchor point.  Without the vice-grips
and the stiff wire with the hook in it, I would have never stretched the
darn spring enough to get it anchored.  Believe me, I tried many times!
Very simple trick, and it makes installation easy.
4)  This completely stopped my brake pedal return problems.

Good luck, Tim.....and let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.
Tom Caperton
47-2nd 3100....in Whiteville, NC
tcape@weblnk.net