Re: [oletrucks] Mileage/Smog and oletrucks (and the future)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mileage/Smog and oletrucks (and the future)
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:37:24 EST
1--The Corvette/Camaro/Firebird TPI L98 is a good engine for a truck.  It's
designed more for low end torque, and they're pretty clean. . .I know someone
in GA that runs a street-prepared class race prepped vette w/o the catalytic
converters and it still passes the sniffer inspections.  I run mine in the
same street-prepared class but have a free flow cat installed.  TN doesn't
have sniffer inspections but I assume mine's even cleaner than the guy w/o
the cats.  Later EFI vettes, etc went to high rpm engines (LT1, LT4) and
moved the torque way up on the curve; I would assume that these wouldn't make
good truck engines.  Gas mileage depends as much on transmission and final
gearing, but my 86 vette as modified gets 27 mpg on the highway and does 0-60
in around 6 seconds.  At first I was afraid of the complexity of these
engines, but it has proved to be easy to work on.  Now if there were only a
good/cheap way to make it look retro. . .

2--My wife drives a 97 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with the 4.0 L EFI in-line six,
and it meets all of the more recent cleaner burn standards.  It would be a
relatively easy swap as the physical size is pretty close to the 235, but I
have not been happy with the power, gas mileage, or reliability of this setup
(but then again, my daily driver is the race prepped vette in #1). . .but my
wife loves it so I'm stuck with it.

3--Didn't I hear that Chevy was reintroducing an inline six?  It would be
clean to the latest standards as well.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban 2wd 350 V8 3speed w/OD in progress
59 GMC Suburban V8/Hydramatic looking for a 1/2 ton NAPCO kit  and a V8,
destined for straight stock resto

In a message dated 1/25/01 6:01:45 PM, jforbes@primenet.com writes:

<< > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:48:33 -0600
> From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mileage/Smog and oletrucks (and the future)
>
> Actually I think that Jim Forbes has done a very good job of tying the
> planning to put into my 51 is a mid 60s 283, obviously not an
> environmentally friendly motor as it was produced before smog control.  If
> I want to put a more modern, less polluting, environmentally friendly motor
> in my truck, what years should I look at for the donor vehicle?
>
> BobK
> 51 3600 5-window (project)
> 98 RAM (hers)
> 99 HD Sportster
> Arnaudville, LA

Bob--

You can use whatever you can get ahold of.  If you
want a nice performing engine, with some challenges
to install (specifially the fuel system and the air
intake, among others), try a Chevy Tuned Port 305 or
350 from a Camaro, Vette, or Firebird from about
1985 to the early 90s.  The truck and passenger car
throttle body injected V-8s from the same era are
also decent engines, just not as performace
oriented...and probably a bit easier to install,
because they don't have the air intake right where
your cooling fan is.  The V-6 is also ok, if you get
the big one...4.3 liter.  They have been using these
in trucks for a long time, and I think most were
made with throttle body injection, although the
early ones had Quadrajets, which were computer
controlled.  I have a TBI 4.3 that I'm planning to
rebuild, although I don't have a home for it yet.
The 4.3 is 3/4 of a 350 V-8, very compact, although
it probably has the same steering/exhaust clearance
problem as putting a V-8 in an AD truck.  At 262
cubes, it compares favorably with the big truck 261
straight 6, and should be much easier to find.

You may also find a fuel injected straight 6 engine
to use, although I think (not sure...) that Chevy
went to the V-6 in trucks when they went to fuel
injection...so I don't think there's a Chevy fuel
injected straight 6 available.  F*rd and J**p used
FI straight 6 engines for a long time, they may
still be making them!

On any fuel injected swap, you'll need the computer,
harness, and all the necessary sensors (some you can
do without, but most are needed).  The fuel system
has to be pressurized, the best way is with a custom
tank with an intank pump, but you can use other
methods also...mounting a F*rd type external pump on
the frame will work if you keep the gas tank in the
cab, so it gets good gravity feed to the pump.  If
the pump runs out of fuel, even for a short time,
and sucks air, the engine can die.  Another method
to feed the pressure pump is to use a small
reservoir that is fed by a normal low pressure
pump.  Beware that the fuel injected engines use a
bypass pressure regulator, and require a return
line, and if you use a reservoir it also needs this
return line running thru it.  Port fuel injection
usually requires about 50 psi (although the
regulator knocks it down to 30 to 40 psi), and
throttle body injection requires around 15 psi.
You'll also want to have some understanding of how
the fuel injection system works...there are some
good books out there on doing EFI swaps.  There are
also many companies that sell computer harnesses for
engine swaps into older vehicles, so you don't need
to be an electrical wizard, you just need to
understand the basics.

Or, you can just build the 283 to be clean...put in
a small (short duration) cam, make sure you have PCV
working properly, and if you get it tuned real well
and want to do some experimenting, you might
consider putting a catalytic converter on it...but
beware there is a fire danger, they can get very hot
when the engine misfires or runs rich or excessively
lean.  Might blow someone's mind to see almost no
hc/co coming out the tailpipe of your 51...

Jim F
59s in AZ