[oletrucks] Super Mileage Claims vs. Real Old Trucks

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Super Mileage Claims vs. Real Old Trucks
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:45:11 -0700
Mark wrote:
> Sure there have been competitions where specially trained drivers and
> specially prepped cars have gotten huge gas mileage numbers over relatively
> short distances, but nobody on this list could ever stand to drive that way
> and the cars wouldn't be practical or safe outside of those tests.
>
> Mark Noakes
> Knoxville, TN

I was involved in one of these competitions in
college, as a senior design project, almost 20 years
ago.  There was a competition with specific rules,
and our vehicle:

-weighed about 30 pounds without driver
-would top out at about 30 mph
-ran intermittently (accelerate full throttle, kill
the engine, coast a long time, repeat)
-averaged 15 mph
-had a 2hp briggs & stratton engine with overhead
valves (I designed and built the head)
-was very dangerous (lousy steering, lousy brakes,
scary seat, 3 bicycle wheels)
-got over 500 mpg!

I learned a lot with this project.  One thing is
that there is only so much energy in a given amount
of fuel, and another thing is that there is a lot of
waste in what we normally drive...but then again I'm
rather comfy and confident driving my oletrucks!
I'd rather pedal a bicycle than drive something like
the monster we created with that project.

Jim F
59s in AZ