Re: [oletrucks] Diesels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Diesels
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:35:47 -0600
Diesels weren't readily available in pickups until the ill-fated
GM Diesel converted from an Oldsmobile small block in the 70's.
Anything older was probably a back shop conversion.

For larger trucks, at the mine my dad worked at, they had a GMC AD
tandem lowboy tractor with a GM 6-71N in it, with straight pipes
no less.  That thing was a real screamer.  Picked up a noise ticket
from the Highway Patrol once in the early 60's, got a muffler shortly
after.  This may have been a conversion since the 6-71's were the
same engines used in the Euclids at the mine.  The Euclids were GM
mining trucks that were contemporaries of the AD trucks, though they
shared no common parts.

Have also seen other large TF trucks with Gimmy diesels in them over
the years.

In the early 60's, diesels in trucks in the 2 ton range were not
uncommon, though most trucks that small were still gas.  The same
mine had a 63 two ton GMC service truck with a smaller Gimmy diesel
in it from the factory.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Monday, 12 February 2001, you wrote:

>hi there,
>AD stands for Advanced Design, and TF stands for my personal favorite,
Task