RE: [oletrucks] back spacing/wheel size on 3100 w/front pdb

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] back spacing/wheel size on 3100 w/front pdb
From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:26:10 -0600
> I used a similar kit on my 57 GMC.  The wheels I used were 15x8
> stock wheels from a 78 4WD Chevy pickup.  Plenty of space for the
> calipers without needing the 1/4" spacers that came with my brake
> kits.

Hey Bill and anyone else who might know the answer,

     I have a front disk brake kit from Chevy Duty and there is a spacer
that, according to the diagram that came with the kit, is supposed to go
just inside the spindle nut.  With the spacer in place the nut will not go
on far enough to allow the cotter pin to slide through the end of the
spindle.  Am I putting this thing together wrong?  Do I, perhaps, need to
find a thinner spacer?

     I had the new bushing (I think that is what it is called) pressed onto
the spindle, installed the inner bearing and seal (that came with the kit),
new disk and outer bearing (from a 76 camero, that did not come with the
kit), spindle washer, spacer, and nut.  The new bushing seems to be seated
all the way.  What else could be the problem?  Or, are these kits, like so
many other parts that we hear about, not quite perfect?  BTW, my front axle
and spindles are from a 1/2 ton as I could not find a kit for a 3/4 ton and
I really wanted disk brakes.

     Thanks in ADvance for any answers, suggestions or insults.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (project)
98 RAM (hers)
99 HD Sportster