[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [oletrucks] What's my rear-end ?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What's my rear-end ?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:28:06 -0700

Sounds like a Chrysler rearend.  They used bolts
instead of nuts to hold the wheels on.  They had a
drop out center section, and a round (not oblong or
oval, but ROUND) rear cover that's welded to the
housing.  Usually if they used bolts to hold the
wheels on, then they also had a separate axle shaft
and wheel flange...so you would see a big nut on the
end of each axle.

Then again, it may be from some type of British
lorry   :)

Jim F
59s in AZ

> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:46:27 -0000
> From: Stu <sbcltd@netcomuk.co.uk>
> Subject: [oletrucks] What's my rear-end ?
> .... also about my rear axle.
> Thanks to Ron I'm back to being 'confused of England'  and need to find out
> what the rear end in my truck is. I'll get a picture before long but I
> thought someone might have an idea anyway.
> It's not a closed axle but it has the bolts at the front and a spherical
> back on it. It has drum brakes and it's the type which takes male studs (The
> hubs are smooth with no studs) It's been drilled out to 5 stud but I can't
> see what it was before the work.
> I know it's a bit vague but I'll get more info tonight.
> Cheers
> Stu..
oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>