Re: [oletrucks] Engine

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine
From: "J.O. Williams" <jow@techbase.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:02:06 -0700 (MST)
> I just found out today that my 228 has a cracked head.  As soon as it gets
>back
> home we will check casting numbers and may be looking for a head to replace
>this
> one.  It ran really strong but some coolant getting blown out the exhaust
>port.

In the mid-70's I spent a week looking for a new 228 head.  I received two heads
via bus and both turned out to be cracked back in the exhaust ports.  A good
head didn't exist then and I doubt one exists now.  The head I have works fine.

Get a can of sealer and pour it in as per the directions on the can.  This was
very poor design by GM.  On my head, you can hear the water drip and then boil
as
the water hit the hot manifold (before the block sealer was poured in).   I
think
this a conspiracy by engine mechanics for you to buy a new engine. :->

<Snipped>

J.O. Williams
51 GMC