[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1262

To: MarkNoakes@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1262
From: McGillis@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:16:04 EST
In a message dated 3/24/2001 4:03:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, MarkNoakes
writes:

> How did you cut the air cleaner?  Did you put a grommet around the opening?

> Did you use a straight pipe or did you put in a pcv valve?  I suppose I
could
> just put together something using local auto store parts.  I want a setup
> that looks as original as possible but it doesn't have to be the same
parts.
> Later on, for the sake of gas mileage, I may change the setup and go with a
> retro'd tpi. . .still want it to look 50's-60's.

*************************

I did not do the front (intake) portion and still have the fill tube with
breather top on it.  At the back I found that 7/16 fuel hose just fits into
the draft tube opening (I cut the bottom at an angle), an elbow shaped PCV
device sits on top with its exit just below the distributor body and 3/8 fuel
hose runs foreward and slightly up to a brass 3/8 tube to 3/8 MIP fitting in
the base of the carburetor.  Everything but the brass fitting is black and
the whole assembly is virtually invisible.

I'm not unhappy with what I have but would buy the original in a minute if I
found it.

In the 60s you could buy stuff that looks very much like both the front and
rear of the original system at any auto parts counter.

      Dennis McGillis
      '55 Cameo (CA Plate: V8 CAMEO)
      '36 Lowcab (CA Plate: 36 TRUCK)
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America