[oletrucks] Backfire 216 update

To: "Oletrucks \(E-mail\)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Backfire 216 update
From: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:39:32 -0500
I was having backfires on the first 10/15 Min. of driving and the truck
would hesitate on acceleration (like a one second pause) then it would get
going as normal.

After many responses from the list I have taken action.

Everyone told me to re-torque the head bolts.  I purchased a torque wrench
from Sears $24.00 and remembered the exercise it prior to using it (old list
posting).  All of the bolts in the center were under about 10 lbs all of the
front and back bolts were ok and did not move.  After this the backfire is
much less noticeable.

A few told me to tighten down the carb - these bolds did not budge.

Most told me to re-time the truck.  I found a new Sears timing gun at a shop
that resells reconditioned items.  I can get it for $20.00 - without a
manual or box.  Is this a good price?  I have no idea how it works so I
would have to get a manual from Sears.  It was suggested that I buy a gun
and learn how to do this since the gun would cost as much as having it done
for me one time.  Do you all agree?  Is this something I would do a few
times a year?

Thanks,
Jim House
Hollis, NH

We have less than a foot of snow to melt away then I can see the ground
again.....