[oletrucks] Last minute prep before going to the machine shop.

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Last minute prep before going to the machine shop.
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:03:46 -0400
List,

I am getting the block, crank, rods, cam and head ready to take off to the
machine shop. I see the two plugs on the side and one in the back and one
for the cam. These all need to come out, right ? There are two more small
plugs recessed into the block. Do these need to be drilled out ? On the
British engine I rebuilt, these were brass and you drilled most of them out
and tapped the remainder for a brass plug. Is it the same. What size hole do
you drill and what is the thread pitch you tap the hole for ? Also how do
you remove the dip stick tube ?

The engine is a 1960 235.

While I'm at it. The head does not have two oil plugs behind the lifter
cover, just one in the upper middle. I know all these engines were hydraulic
by 1960. Did they stop drilling both holes ? I was told the 848 casting was
the better head to start with because it had improved breathing. But I was
thinking of running mechanical lifters, and you need the oil line for this.
Can the head be drilled to add the other end of the oil line ?

Sorry for the greenhorn type questions. Trying to do most of the work
myself, with all your help that is.

Bill Schickling