Re: [oletrucks] rear axle questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear axle questions
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:25:05 -0500
Not being a mechanic I generally stay out of discussions like this one, but
I happen to have just recently removed the bearings and seal on the
differential of a 1989 Ford F150 pickup.  If our oldtrucks are anything
like the Ford I worked on then taking the axles out is not a problem and
can be done rather quickly.

The problem that I had involved the removal of the old seal and bearing
assembly.  I borrowed a bearing puller and struggled for two days trying to
get the old bearing assembly out.  When it finally came out it had been
completely destroyed in the process.  I have been told that if you remove
the individual bearings themselves and then weld a bead around the inside
of the bearing housing (or whatever you call it - the cylinder that the
individual bearings roll around in - not the race that the bearing assembly
slides into) it will shrink just enough to make removal easy.  If the
bearing assembly comes out easy then the whole process should not take more
that half a day.

If all you have to replace is the seal, then the job should be easy and not
take very long.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (project)
89 F150
98 RAM (hers)
99 HD Sportster
Arnaudville, LA

                    vwbus@ckoon.org

                    (craig k)                   To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    owner-oletrucks@auto        Subject:     Re: [oletrucks]
rear axle questions
                    x.team.net

                    04/03/01 07:15 PM

                    Please respond to

                    vwbus

>Yes,
>       You do have to remove the axles, But it shoundn't take too long,
the
>drain hole is the differental plate. Remove plate, remove center pin,
remove
>keepers and pull axles.
>       Have fun
>       Jeff
>       Mostly 54-55 1st

That seems too easy :) The shop manual stresses peening nuts for safety and
other stuff that makes me a bit nervous to open the diff myself.
Anyone have this done at a shop, and the costs involved?

craig
caretaker of
stephanie's 50 3104 216 5-window deluxe