Re: [oletrucks] easiest V-8 swap

To: "Scott and Stacey Redish" <ScottnStaceyTX@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] easiest V-8 swap
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:25:37 -0700
>I am really wanting to keep my truck original, but was just interested to
>find out what chevy v-8 would be the easiest to swap to?  Would the 283 be
>very hard considering the size (not real familiar with the size, I'm going
>by the c.i.).  I don't want to "modify" the truck as I want it as it is, but
>would possibly consider a small v-8 and putting the 216 to the side for now.
>
>Thanks for any comments.
Well, as someone already mentioned the sb's are all the same physical size,
and (I think) 267 -->up have the side mount (triangle pattern)  capability,
and the later ones have accessory mounting holes in the heads.
I drove our 49 3100 over 10 years with a 283 bolted up to the original
granny 4-spd/torque tube rear. To do this the location of the transmission
dictates where the engine has to sit. The firewall will need to be massaged
back to allow for the V8 distributor. Normally the steering box will need
to be moved to the left slightly, unless you either make or can trial and
error pre-made headers. The clutch pedal/linkage requires modification
also. Naturally the exhaust has to be fabricated from the motor back.

You're still going to be left with the high (numerically) rear gears and
with a swap to smaller 15" radial tires you won't be doing much pleasant
free way driving .

Most practical  solution would be a trans/open rear change  at the same
time. You could still someday go back to 6 cylinder power, but with the
later trans/rear combo.

This isn't a week end job  and requires quite a bit of work. I still have a
old magazine article posted at our web site which illustrates one example
of this swap. Go to the  link below and select the V8 your AD link on the
left panel.

I don't want to discourage you, but don't under estimate the amount of work
and $$$ involved.
"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer      e-mail -->bfischer@utm.net