[oletrucks] Installing rear glass

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@egroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Installing rear glass
From: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:03:08 EDT
   Well, the day has come to install the rear glass (deluxe) in my '48.  I
have new rubber with the chrome locking beads and the "special" bead
installation tool.  I cleaned up the glass and set to work.  After trying to
get the rubber to stay on the glass without success, I decided to read the
shop manual.  It told me to install the gasket in the opening first, then
insert the glass in the gasket, and finally install the locking bead.
   I decided to start on a corner window, since it was smaller.  The gasket
went in fairly easy and I trimmed it nicely where the ends butt together.
Next was the glass.  With the help of a little dish washing soap and a
homemade wooden tool made from a 1/2" dowel, the glass was slipped into the
gasket.  Not bad, only about 45 minutes work, maybe I can get both corners in
tonight.  WRONG!
   When it was time to slip in the locking bead, I found the tool I bought
totally useless.  The groove that accepts the bead is as tight as my mother
used to be with money.  I couldn't even get the tool in the groove without
fear of tearing up the new rubber.  I went back to work with my homemade
wooden spoon tool and started inserting the bead manually.  I put WD-40 in
the rubber groove and then pried and pushed on the rubber, first one side and
then the other.  It works, but the going is very slow.  After an hour, the
bead in 3/4 of the way installed on the first corner window.  At this rate, I
should have the back windows in by Friday.  I can't feel the tips of my index
fingers or thumbs.  They are numb from pressing so hard.
   I had read with interest, some other horror stories about installing the
glass, but I was sure it would be easier than everyone made it sound.  I will
get it in, it's a matter of pride now.  I just thought I'd let you all know
how much fun I'm having.

Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX