[oletrucks] Alternator flashing

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Alternator flashing
From: "Gary L Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:52:17 -0500
I have a 54 with a one-wire alternator on it. It's been on 2 years. It's not
new 'cept the regulator for the one-wire set-up. Last winter and now that I'm
driving again it started to pulsate like the lights and ammeter gauge needle
wiggles as it does this. It always charges OK. I have to "blip" the throttle
to start it charging which is normal for these. It's real bad when cold and
first starting, then gets slower as it warms and drives awhile. It goes faster
as I accelerate till it looks like it's steady at speed. What may cause this?
Is it time for new alt? Regulator bad? Would it be better to hook up the othr
two connectors to power that I haven't even used? It used to run steady w/out
pulsing when I first put in truck, don't know why different now. Opinions
wanted.....

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
50 Chevy COE (project)