Re: [oletrucks] Alternator flashing

To: "Gary L Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>, "oletrucks"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator flashing
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:20:42 -0700
Sounds like some sticking brushes to me!  I have 3 operating one-wire
alternators and None of them have the fluctuating charging characteristics
you've indicated.  I guess that maybe your running at a slower idle speed
then me?  You could have some grease that moved from the support bearing up
to the brushes that's causing the problem or some weak tension springs and
short brushes causing the problem.  A resistance test would tell you the
condition of the brushes.  I guess the only way to really know what's going
on would be to test the voltage and amp's with it on the truck and then
remove it and substitute a stock voltage regulator in place of the one wire
to see if the regulator is the problem.  I guess what you could do is just
jump a wire over from the bat terminal on the alternator to the #2 terminal
to see if the problem goes away "which takes away the self energize
function".

Joe