[oletrucks] AD voltage regulator and generator

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] AD voltage regulator and generator
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 08:42:54
To the list

I was driving my Pcup in the rain last Saturday and I noticed that the amp
gauge was not charging.  I opened the voltage regulator and tapped on the
contacts and then it started charging.  I took off down the road and after
15 miles it quit charging again.

How do I tell if the generator is bad or if the voltage regulator is going
south?  I didn't have a meter with me at the time and it was raining anyway
so I didn't check for voltage on the generator.  I called NAPA and they said
that they had two kinds of 6 volt Chevy regulators and that I needed to give
them the numbers off of the generator.  I didn't see any stinking numbers on
the generator.  What kind of regulator does a 235 engine take?   Where does
one take a generator to be rebuilt if it is bad?  Where does one buy a new
generator if need be?

I'm just dazed, confused and wet in Colorado.  BTW my Pcup doesn't have a
floor and wet weather driving is always an adventure.  I gotta fix that one
of these days.

Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window