Re: [oletrucks] Removing TF Doors

To: "Bill Broadway" <bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Removing TF Doors
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 19:38:26 -0400
At 08:59 AM 05/09/2001 -0500, Bill Broadway wrote:
>Anyone have any tips? Is it better to remove the door off the hinge first,
>leaving the hinge to the cab or take the door and hinge off at the cab at
>the same time? Can one person do it, maybe by putting a jack under the door
>to hold the weight?

Bill
It's definitely easier to take the door off the hinges first. What I do it
to first remove the bolts holding the door to the lower hinge, then the
bolts holding the door to the upper hinge. I have found from experience
that the door will just kind of hang on the hinges but if you are concerned
put some cinderblock under it to keep it from falling. Then roll down the
window stick your head through the window from the inside, grasp both the
front edge of the door in one hand and the rear edge of the door in the
other hand and start walking sideways. The door will come right off with
you and the top of the window will kind of settle down on your shoulders.
It's pretty easy to maneuver from this position..or at least I think so. I
am not a lightweight but I'm not Mr Olympia either.
As for getting the hinges off...the lower hinge is held by three bolts..two
inside going towards the front of the truck and one back "in the pocket"
and the bolt head on that one goes from the wheel well back towards the
back of the truck. That one can be a pistol if the head is rusted off
(which it frequently is). The upper hinges have the same two bolts going
towards the front of the truck and the one in the pocket goes towards the
front of the truck too...there is a captive nut on the cowl (up under the
front fender) that holds that. If that nut is busted loose you will have a
devil of a time getting at it unless your arms are real long. It would
probably be easier in the long run to remove the fender.
Hope this helps!
Bill Bailey
Danville, Virginia
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck