[oletrucks] Carburetor's 4- bbl.

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Carburetor's 4- bbl.
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:56:34 -0700
I was looking over the Archives and read a message from Charles A. Clark
asking me for some insight on Carburetors?

If you can get back to me on a specific question I will be happy to provide
any information I can.

If the question was about what carburetor is my favorite,  then I'd have to
say  "Don't hate me" the Q-Jet's .  I've been rebuilding and modifying these
guys for about 15 years and find them the easiest to rebuild.

I rebuilt me a nice warmed over 350 4-bolt main for my fishing truck and for
some strange reason switched to a Holley 600 Vac Secondary with electric
choke.  I rebuilt the Holley and installed all the little goodies (power
valve saver, quick change vac sec spring kit, electric choke, different jets
etc.,) and I get worse gas mileage then my bigger 750 cfm Q-jet.    I think
the main reason is that normally I drive around on the smaller primaries of
the Q-jet and seldom open up the big Sec. while with the Holley, I'm into
the fours all the time.  I even installed on several occasions stronger and
stronger vac sec springs to delay the secondaries from opening but that only
help a little.

I'll probably be switching manifolds and going back to the Q-Jet next month.

Joe