Re: [oletrucks] Rearend Questions--later truck rears

To: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rearend Questions--later truck rears
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:07:15 -0700
Antonio--

The 3.73 and 3.07 gears use different differential carriers, the reason
is to space the ring gear to the proper position for the different size
pinion gears used.  So, you need a 3.07 carrier, which you may be able
to buy from Chevy for $$$ or you may be able to find one used for a more
reasonable price.  It would have to be from a truck or van 12 bolt rear,
probably from the 70s.  I bought a used complete van rearend for $75
that had the 3.07 gears and carrier that I used...plus I had to buy new
bearings and seals and crush sleeve, which added close to $200 to the
cost of the project.  You also need to know what you're doing to set up
the ring and pinion gears, the pinion depth and backlash as well as
bearing preload are all critical, and take some equipment and knowledge
to get right.  The facory shop manual for any 60s or 70s truck should
have the info you need, if you can find such a manual.  Or, find a good
rearend shop that will do it for you, figure about $200 labor...and they
may have a used carrier for sale also, possibly the gears also (from
someone who replaced the 3.07s in his 4x4 with 3.73s for better
towing/acceleration).

Jim F
59s in AZ