Re: [oletrucks] Airbags

To: "Bill Broadway" <bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Airbags
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:56:10 -0700
Bill,

Like you said it's brackets and your doing the installing so you should be
fine with the AIM kit.

Basically on top of the air bag your getting a spacer welded to a pre
drilled flat plate to locate the air bag.  Same type of plate with no spacer
"Generally" to bolt onto the lower control arm and air bag.  Then you have
the shock bracket that your going to weld on the outside of the frame a
certain distance above and behind the upper control arm.

Just check the angle of the spacer tube to be sure they have the same height
and angle.  My neighbors 1965 Impala Convertible leaned to one side a bit
and it was due to what turned out to be a different length spacer and angle
plate.   This was only noticeable on full drop but that's where this one
shined.

It true they all use the same air bag manufacturer but check to see what
size of bag each one recommends for your application.....they may differ in
that area and others?   Also check compressor size, shock brand, line size,
fitting type, and reserve tank size.  It's more than just brackets to the
kit.  The difference in the prices must be due to tubular arms on Air Rides
part?

I installed Air Ride last month in my 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton using Heidt's
tubular lower control arms and the Ride Tech air compression kit.  I haven't
installed the back yet because I'm kicking around the four link with air bag
idea for this winter but am very happy with the front installation.  The
price was about $1500.00 .

Front height fully dropped is 2 1/2" while raised height is about 8"
measured from the bottom of the bumper.

Joe