RE: [oletrucks] Air Compressor

To: "Oletrucks \(E-mail\)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Air Compressor
From: "Mike " <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:39:48 -0700
----- Original Message -----

From: Jim House

To: Old-Chevy-Truck \(E-mail\) ;Oletrucks
\(E-mail\)

Sent: 6/3/01 1:20:46 PM

Subject: [oletrucks] Air Compressor

Well after a year of nagging her my wife said OK to a
compressor.  This will

be a once in a lifetime buy.  I am not able to buy one now and
then if a few

years think about getting a better one.  So this is
it!  I love Sears stuff

so I have been looking there.  I am interested in one with the
tank upright

over one that lays down.  Storage space in the garage is the
major reason.

I am also looking for something over 20 gal, must be 120V.  I am
starting to

understand the SCFM ratings.  The one I am looking at is 6 HP 30
Gal 8.6/6.4

SCFM at 40/90PSI - 125 max PSI.  It is on sale for
$259.88.  I am interested

in sandblasting and HVLP painting.

What did it was I have now gathered together 11 rims and want to get
the

best 5 sandblasted (quoted at $250.00) and painted (quoted at
$125.00).

That shook her up as the first items to get painted outside of a spray
can.

Originally I painted a quick coat of Rustoloum on the truck for cover
for

$45.00.  Now I get to do it all - with a new compressor.

What do you think - is this compressor a good deal?

Thanks,

NJJim

  Most of the HLVP guns I've seen, require more compressor than
that...check the gun requirement.

  Also, if that one is an oiless, I'd shy away...damn things are
noisy.

  Sandblasting is relevant to tip size, so any compressor *can* work,
but it's more a matter of how much work you plan to do with it.

  FWIW I have a Sears Craftsman 5hp oiless, I think the SCFM rating is
close to what you listed, believe mine's a 25 gallon tank (horizontal), and to
tell ya the truth, I really wish I'd have spent more money on somthing in the
15-18 cfm rating, and a 60-80 gallon tank.  Would have saved me a
weekend building one later;)

  But as far as price vs. "what you're getting", yea, I'd say it's
money decently spent.

--- Mike

--- passnb4u@earthlink.net