RE: [oletrucks] Killer 51GMC status

To: "Oletrucks (E-mail)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Killer 51GMC status
From: "Mike " <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 8:57:14 -0700
----- Original Message -----

From: Peters, Jon C

To: Oletrucks (E-mail)

Sent: 6/5/01 6:28:06 AM

Subject: [oletrucks] Killer 51GMC
status

OK people,

I just found that rarer than hen's teeth transmission I was looking
for..

41-54 Packard 3 speed. I have a Weber adapter to a 425 Nailhead. Seams
this

was a go-fast combo in the late 50's early 60's, it's similar to using

Cad/La-salle box ("Boxes with beef" Hot Rod mar. 61). Anyway the guy I
got

it from said any gear less than 3:90 is a waist I should be running 4:11
or

so (4:09 was a stock Packard rear). So the question is with a 4:11
rear

gear, what cam should I be looking for? I would like a pretty lumpy
street

cam. Carb to start with while I finish up the fuel injection design
(getting

close, anyone for a multi-port Nailhead???)......

I also need to figure out the shifting

as it was a column shift now its going to be a floor shifter. Ansen made

shifter way back when, but I can't find anyone who remembers how they
were

setup.

This is going to be on wild truck! The jag suspension drops the whole rig
at

least 5" all the way around, I think I'll have to trim the bottom of
the

fenders (bob) to clear the ground! The design I've come up with for
the

front of the GMC will require a wedge cut of the hood and front
fenders.

She's a little too fat up front for the look I'm after. "E" class
Mercedes

head lamps later model GMC oval grill shell, roll pan/bumper. Depending
on

how the hood brings down the "fatness" I may or may not section the body.

Before you people freak out about cutting up the truck... it's a
collection

of cast off parts including the cab(s) fenders and such. The cab(s)
are

severely rotted as are the fenders, the frame has a small section
with

"thinning" type rot, and it had no motor. Pretty much a basket case's
basket

case.

I haven't quite figured out the bed. I have a few thoughts; 1. integrate
the

"bed" with the body sort of like the suburban body shape; 2. Later 1999
and

up step bed (like those better than the 94 up style); 3. Custom stock
like

box (one piece bend main side and floor) with customized fenders although

don't have any
fenders.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Jon P

WOW!  Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

  I'm not sure what intakes are available for the Buick motors, but if
you look through Holley's line of MPI conversion intakes, you'll see what
appears to be a normal 4bbl hi-rise, with fuel injector ports machined into the
intake runners.  I'd think you could do the same thing to a stock style (or
whatever aftemarket 4bbl Al. intake that's available).  You'd most likely
have to fab up your own fuel rail kit, but you should be able to adapt a TB and
plenum setup to any intake.

  Have you looked at the later model Ford pickup beds?  They have
a real nice"flare" (better looking than the newer GM's, IMO) look up at
the front where it sits next to the bed, most likely the bed would be
too wide for an AD style truck, and would have to be sectioned.

  I can actually "see" the truck the way you
descride!

-- Mike

--- passnb4u@earthlink.net