Re: [oletrucks] Just got a 49 Suburban

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Just got a 49 Suburban
From: Barrett Revis <snappydog@jackass.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:36:46 -0700
Congrats on the new 'burb, Bob!

Let's see, you got all the seats - that's good, they can be hard to
find.  The radios tend to be pricey, they show up every now and then
on a well known auction site and sell for $150+ not working, but you
can always find a good used stock block out plate somewhere for $15 -
$25. I would imagine it shouldn't be too much trouble to find a used
distributer, they're interchangeable between the 216 and 235 engines.
 You'll also need a vacuum advance unit.  Starters are readily
available, though the solenoid type are easier come by than the foot
pedal kind.
I believe there are kits available to convert to tube style shocks,
though it your lever action shocks are salvageable, many prefer them.
Your front fender is interchangeable with the pickups; your rear
fenders are not interchangeable with anything other than Suburbans,
not even panel trucks.  I haven't come across and fender patch
panels, but then I haven't been looking.
As for vendors, a good place to start is with Jim Carter Auto Parts -
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/ and American Classic Truck Parts -
http://www.americanclassic.com/, both have a better selection of
'burb specific parts than most.
Jim Carter has AD 'burb headliners and side pieces, 'burb interior
paint, 'burb seat upholstery kits, sway bar bushinsg, 'burb taillight
lenses, rear valance, side window channels and felt, and body mounts.
American Classic Truck Parts has the sway bar bushings, 'burb
taillight lenses, rear valance, side window channels and felt, and
body mounts as well.

I used to have a '53 'burb and loved it.  Nowadays it's panel trucks
(less glass to wash).  Good luck with your project!

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105