[oletrucks] Automatic Tranny pan leaks

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Automatic Tranny pan leaks
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:55:50 -0700
Hi...

If you think the pan is leaking, the first thing to do is make sure it's
not something else!  Common areas for leaks on TH350/400 transmissions
are the shifter shaft seal, the dipstick tube oring, the modulator
oring, the kickdown wire fitting oring (th400), accumulator oring
(th350), speedometer gear seal and oring, and the front pump oring (this
one requries tranny removal and partial disassembly to fix).

I much prefer stock transmission pans, and see no need for a drain plug,
because I bought a neat big rectangular plastic "drain" pan at the
hardware store...I just pull off most of the bolts and let the fluid
drain, then pull the last bolts and drop the pan.  This is a bit more
difficult in a TF truck with the bellhousing crossmember still in place,
but it can be done, if you drop the back of the pan first to let it
drain.

Jim F
59s in AZ

who's been rebuilding TH400s lately