Re: [oletrucks] Gas Guage reads empty

To: "Ric McAnulty" <ric_mcanulty@yahoo.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas Guage reads empty
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 20:22:37 -0700
Ric -

You must have a new wiring harness installed to have a fuse block and fuse
for the gas gauge?

Yeah, I would imagine the gas gauge is fried if it was the original 6V unit
and 12V was applied to it.  Check with ChevyDuty or American Classic for a
12V gauge and sender.

The only way to remove the gauge is to label the wires going into the amp
gauge and gas gauge, unscrew the oil line and also unbolt the temp sender
from the engine to allow you to lower the gauge housing and pull everything
out to the work bench.  Then you have to pry back the chrome housing to gain
access to the gauges and then unscrew the hold down nuts to the studs
holding the gauge to the back of the housing to remove it.  You may have to
unbolt another gauge to allow you room to remove the gas gauge as they
overlap.

Be sure to get a voltage reducer if you buy a 6V gauge so you don't fry the
new one.

Before you connect the new gauge why don't you check the wire from the gauge
to the sender to be sure it's not grounded.   With the new gauge connected
you can also take the sender wire and ground it to check the fuel gauge and
also connect the sender wire to the sender and with the ground wire
connected to the sender housing, manually move the float arm to view the gas
gauge travel through it's range from empty to full.

Joe