Re: [oletrucks] rear end and wiper motor questions

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end and wiper motor questions
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:03:38 -0700
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:54:10 -0700
> From: "Brian _" <pkupman57@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] rear end and wiper motor questions
>
> hi all,
> ive recently finished up re-wiring my truck with a Ron Fracis wiring
> harness. great harness i might add. however, when i hooked up my wipers, and
> tried turning them on, the wiper motor came on and proceded to get the bar
> that the wiper arms connect to, which is what rotates and is attatched to
> the motor itself horizontal, (the wipers would be in the verticl position)
> and it stopped. i cant for the life of me force it to move, and turning the
> wipers on does nothing, no movment, no noise, no smoke, no blown fuse,
> nothing. whats wrong with my wiper motor?
>
> also,. i have a ford 9" rear end that i was told is from a mid-70's F-100 or
> F-150, and a center section from a lincoln. its a 28 spline center section
> with 2.33 or 2.35 gears (i know crapy gears, but high grade is expensive for
> my ole 11.5:1 engine, so im looking forward to my mad gas mileage),..... my
> problem is how do i figure out what axles to order? i havent got any, i just
> have the houseing, from a truck with an unknow year, a center section from
> an unknown lincoln, and drum brakes from a '79 F-100,.. i plan to order a
> set of Strange axles from Summit on the 19th or 20th of this month, but i
> have no idea how to tell them what axles i need. any help is GREATLY
> appreciated.
>
> thanks.
> Brian M
> Atwater, CA
> '57 Chevy 3200

Brian--

On the wipers...what wiper motor are you using?  Is it the stock one
with the cable type on-off control?  If so, you might check the control
cable, and you might check the grounding of the wiper motor itself, and
you might try anothe wiper motor (not easy, because they're expensive
and hard to find).

On the rearend, you need to figure out just what it is.  If it really is
a truck rearend, with the big 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, then you may have
trouble getting the drums to work on it if you have the axles made for
Chevy 5 lug wheels.  Another problem could be with the wheel bearings,
as they used some funky tapered bearings on many of the big late 70s
Fords (both cars and trucks).  I wonder what the ratio really is?  I
thought they only made 2.47, 2.50, 2.75, 3.00, etc, nothing in the 2.3s,
but I could be mistaken (if it's a 9-3/8" ring gear center section, who
knows?).  Strange may have the info on the stock truck axles, but again
you need to know just what it is you have.  You might check to see if
the backing plates fit the housing correctly.  You will probably need to
measure the bearing hole size, and the distance from the housing end to
where the axle meets the brake drum.  It's challenging...I pieced
together a 9" for my Suburban, and I had to make some small
modifications to the axles after I got them to get the drums to fit
(Chevy car drums, to match the front bolt pattern).  You may be better
off just going to some junkyards to try to find stock axles--cheaper,
and if you bring the other stuff with you you can check to see if they
fit before you buy.

9" rearends are nice, but they are a lot easier to use if you get the
right one, and it's complete!

Running that high compression engine at low rpm might be asking for
trouble....