RE: [oletrucks] GMC Hydramatic

To: "'Bob KNOTTS'" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] GMC Hydramatic
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:21:31 -0500
Following from GM Hydra-Matic Transmission Parts Catalog dated 2/1/1957.

Make                    Years

GMC Truck               1952-57
Chevrolet Truck 1954-57

Oldsmobile              1940-42, 46-57
Cadillac                1941-42, 46-57
Pontiac         1948-57
GMC Coach               1949-51, 53
Lincoln         1949-54
Nash/Rambler    1949-57
Hudson          1950-57
Kaiser-Frazer   1950-54
Rolls Royce             1952-53
Willys          1954-55
I've heard that there was a US Army tank built by GM during WWII
that used twin flathead Cadillac V8 engines and Hydra-Matic
transmissions.  The "dual range" Hydra-Matic was replaced by a
controlled-coupling model in some Cadillacs in 55 and Olds and
Pontiac in mid-56.  By 57 the only dual-range Hydra-Matics
that GM still used in their own vehicles were those used in
the trucks.  If you followed drag racing in the early 60's
you will remember the B&M Hydro-Sticks.  The favorite basis
for these transmissions was the "slant pan" Olds dual range
model 55-R Hydra-Matic.