Re: [oletrucks] ask for help (Streering)

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ask for help (Streering)
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 06:44:39 -0700
> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:46:21 -0400
> From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ask for help (Streering)
>
> The proper lubricant is GM part #1052182, it looks like a mix of grease and
> rear end lube...  Anything much thinner than this will seep around the seal
> as you found out. I believe you'll have to remove and disassemble the
> steering box to replace the seal, but i'd try the right stuff before i went
> that far. The right lubricant may not leak...---wayne

Good to see someone is keeping track of this part number   :)   good
answer, Wayne!

The likely culprit is the pittman arm bushings, which wear and let the
pittman shaft move around, so there's no way for the seal to do it's
job.  Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth about a
quarter turn, as you watch the pitman arm, to see if it moves sideways
at the top.  If it does move this way, then the bushings are shot.  The
repair kits that the truck parts places sell include new bushings.
Rebuilding a steering box is not for the weak of heart, though.

Jim F
59s in AZ