Re: [oletrucks] Drive Shaft questions

To: "Randall J. Krebs" <lawgod@offshore-tax.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Drive Shaft questions
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:59:16 -0700
>I have just finished installing a 350/350 ('74 Impala) and 9 inch rearend
>('77 T-Bird) into my 58 1/2 ton.  The original drive shaft is too long (I
>could not move the engine ahead since it would hit the steering components
>(Gibbons Cordoba front cross member).  Regardless, the yokes/u-joints are
>different than on the original drive shaft.
>
>Question:
>
>Is it possible to get U-joints that have the appropriate diameter for each
>the original drive shaft, T-Bird rear and chev automatic?  or, do I have to
>get different yokes for the drive shaft?

I did a similar opr'n on our 49 last year  283/TH350---> 78 1/2T 2WD (6
cyl)3.40:1 rear   (the V8's are usually 3.07:1)

I assumed I would need a special length drive shaft, when a friend who does
this for a living suggested I measure
exactly what length I needed between U joint centers and go search the
wrecking yards. I don't recall exactly the
length needed but I found one within 1/4" I recall the shaft was $45.00 and
just needed a little wire brushing and a
coat of black paint.

The parts store had a book with U joints listed by dimension and I was able
to find what I needed to match the shaft
to the front yoke and the rear differential.
"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer      e-mail -->bfischer@utm.net