Re: [oletrucks] Mileage

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mileage
From: Jon <stkcode@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:11:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Changing the tire size and ratio would definately
help.  Also, if your doing a lot of long runs at high
speeds...maybe an addon overdrive might help as well.
I haven't seen any on these trucks but I'm sure
someone has made one for closed driveshafts.  Changing
the ratio of the gears in the tranny would help as
well, but I'm not sure what to change it to when still
running the straight 6.  Ripping through high RPM's in
the low gears wouldn't be too health for u or the
motor.  It also abviously beats the purpose of
changing the ratios in the first place.

Best of luck,
JR

--- Mac Kinghorn <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca> wrote:
> Hi All!!
>
> Regarding the poor mileage with the 4:11 gears and
> the thoughts of changing
> to a 3:55 I think you would pick up mileage
> considerably.  You will also
> have to play with tires but I would suggest that you
> start with 235X75-15 on
> the rear.  Check the performance as it pertains to
> pickup, pulling etc.  I
> am currently running a 3:08 rearend with 215X75-15
> tires and find that this
> combination works well.  I get excellent pickup from
> a dead stop as well as
> for passing 50 to 65 mph and my mileage is pretty
> consistently around 20
> mpg.  Hope this helps.
>
> Mac
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Best Regards,
JR