Re: [oletrucks] Need help on putting hood back on 53 3100 PU

To: "Wayne Craig" <wcraig@cfl.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Need help on putting hood back on 53 3100 PU
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:41:10 -0700
Hi Wayne,

This is a two man job so find a helper before you hurt yourself or dent the
truck.

Bolt the two hinge arms on each side of the hood first.  Then with your
helper at the front of the hood have them move the hood so you can attach
the spring to the hood on each side.

Before you begin, you'll want to chase the threads in the hood and the bolts
with a tap and die so they tread on really easy.

Your best bet to lessen the spring tension is to install the spring hinge on
the firewall all the way down and tighten the two bolts securely before you
try to line up the upper spring hinge with the hood side.

Once you get the bolt started on the hood sides, I like to pry the arms
outward so their riding on the bolt shoulder while I'm tightening them up.

Remember that once the hood is installed that if the back end toward the
cowl sticks up too high you can loosen the hinge to cowl plate "the one with
the hinge arms" and move it slightly to aid in alignment.  Don't forget
theirs some bolts on the inside of the cab that tightens down this plate.
Their way up their above the kick panel by the glove box.  The other item
that will keep the back up is the spring hinge itself but if you installed
it all the way down then that shouldn't be the problem.

Also,  If the front of the hood sticks up too high "doesn't meet the
fenders" you can  add shims between the lower radiator support and frame to
raise the fenders up to meet the hood.

I like to remove the hood pin and line the hood up to the fender first and
then when everything is lined up, reinstall the hood pin so the hood stays
closed.

Joe
The Resto Rod Shop