[oletrucks] Cab Repairs

To: "Oletrucks (E-mail)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cab Repairs
From: PD <pdaniels@telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:24:47 -0600
Hello everyone.  I've been "lurking" in the shadows of this
list for several years now and have always enjoys the list.
Although I don't own an Old Chev I do find I have a few
about my 72 GMC you may be able to help me with that may be
valid no matter what year truck.

1)- Has anyone ever completed a "roof swap"?

2)- These trucks have an inner and outer roof skin would is
be possible to just "open it up" to get at the inner sheet
metal?

3)- I've stopped the leaks now, is it possible to stop
further rusting of the inside panel from the inside? (lots
of pinholes)

4)- The upper edge of the windshield opening show signs of
rust under the seal (lord know what I'll find when I take
it out). Is the edge of the opening an easy repair?

The truck is my daily driver with over 225,000 miles. Came
with a 402 and TH400, is mostly stock (sorry guys its not a
"Cheyenne").  I find my cab is in great shape except around
the drip rail. It seems the sealant cracked over the years
and allowed water to get between the inner and outer roof
above the windshield.  Since this was my fathers truck
since new I'd like to hang on to it without have to resort
to drastic repairs at this time (eventually do it up right
and give it to my son).
I've looked around locally for potential a donor truck in
case a Cab Swap was the cheaper option but all I've found
were cabs that have floors and rocker panel rotted.

Any help or advise you guys can provide would be
appreciated.

Paul
1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom
Alberta, Canada