[oletrucks] Quick! Atlanta area junkyard being crushed, free parts maybe

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, BOB_FORD@compuserve.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Quick! Atlanta area junkyard being crushed, free parts maybe!!
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:42:43 EDT
I forwarded this from my AMC list, it's dated Oct. 2nd, so I don't know if
anyone is close by this area just north of Atlanta, but someone in the area
should check it out....
Jerry
Forwarded message about old cars.....
From: "-" <psleprob@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.auto.parts.wanted,rec.autos.antique
Subject: Free Antique Parts - Atlanta
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:33:57 GMT

.... I wanted people to know about a situation in the Atlanta
area that might be beneficial to them.  Atlanta is experiencing significant
urban sprawl and open areas of land are being gobbled up like you wouldn't
believe.  This is now extending way out into surrounding counties.

A friend of mine graciously shared the location of an abandoned junkyard
full of all kinds of old cars.  Many old Buicks and Oldsmobiles and other
American cars from the 40's, '50s and '60s.  Most are very rusted hulks but
a number of them still have intact glass and trim that is in pretty good
shape (as of two weeks ago).   Probably even more are way back under the
Kudzu vines.  Anyway, my friend just found out that they are clearing this
land for redevelopment and thus sending all of the cars to the mobile
crusher starting later this week.

I don't own this land and don't know who does so I can't tell you for sure
if people care that you take things.  Apparently it has just been sold to
developers.  My guess is that you could pretty much take anything you want
since it will be going into the crusher within the next week or so.  I seems
a shame to waste all of those potential restoration parts.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly how many cars and trucks are still
there or if they will be there by the time any of you make it up there.  You
will just have to take your chances and remember that "you are on your own."

To get to this site, take I-85 north out of Atlanta to the Buford Georgia
area.  Go one exit past the huge mall of Georgia to the Hamilton Mill exit.
Head west from there and stay on Hamilton Mill Road no matter what for about
6 miles.  You will come to the intersection of the Buford-Gainesville
highway.  Hamilton Mill Road ends here and changes its name so that should
give you the clue that you are in the right location.  The high school will
be across the road and on your left.  At this same intersection, turn right
onto Buford Gainesville Highway and go about 100 yards or so.  The yard will
be on your right.  It doesn't look like much from the road but there are (or
were) some real jewels hidden way back in the woods.  It takes about 40
minutes without traffic to reach this area from the 85 and 285 intersection
in NE Atlanta.

Good luck!