[oletrucks] transmission question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] transmission question
From: "Bruce Marshall" <k1aj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 21:04:32 -0400
I've been a lurker here for quite some time.

I have a '51 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup.  I have just installed a "new" 216 engine
in the truck.  I also had the transmission (3 speed) rebuilt by a local shop
that is familiar with old car and truck transmissions.  The owner owns a few
50's Pontiacs...

Anyway, before we put the motor with attached transmission into the air on
the engine hoist, we filled the transmission with oil.  We we got everything
airbourne on the hoist all of the oil dripped out of the tranny and onto the
garage floor.  Does this sound right?  Does the transmission oil acually
lube the U joint when everything is bolted up or is there a missing seal in
the back of the transmission?

Thanks!

Bruce Marshall