[oletrucks] James Dean Run

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] James Dean Run
From: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:54:13 EDT
Over the 28-30 September, I went to see a car show that I had heard about for
many years.  It is the "James Dean Run" in Fairmount Indiana.  Fairmount is
the birthplace and childhood home of James Dean and he is buried there as
well.  Well, this car show is SUPER!!  Actually it is two shows, one in
Fairmount and one in Gas City about 10 miles away.  Both are held in spacious
parks with lots of grass and trees, Gas City even has a lake in the park.
Each show uses window sticker entry registration.  I saw an entry number over
2500 at Fairmount and over 2000 at Gas City.  Some cars carried both stickers
and cruised back and forth between the two shows over the three days, but I'm
guessing there were at least 4000 vehicles there.  As you might guess, there
were many Mercury "lead sleds" but all makes and model and trucks were
represented.  (FYI, the cars and trucks must be 1970 or older to enter.)
Lots of ADs and TFs in attendance.  I found myself overwhelmed by the number
and quality of the cars and trucks.  I'm sure I offended many street rod
owners by ignoring their $40,000 plus investment to look at a more stock
appearing Chevy Truck.  It was a great time, the weather was perfect, the
leaves were starting to turn, and I can't wait to go back next time.  It was
a long drive from TX, but worth it.  I highly recommend it to anyone.

Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX