Re: [Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] '56 Rear End/Tranny Change]

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] '56 Rear End/Tranny Change]
From: "Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:42:03 -0500
Kirk:

Thanks for the advice, I'd forgotten about the driveshaft/tire rotations
method for determining the ratio.

I understand you like the 3.90 ratio, for a 3-speed that certainly makes
sense.  However I'm not doing any pulling and being a 'flat-lander' in
Illinois doesn't present any problems starting-up or pulling hills.  My '56
is a summertime vehicle I mostly drive back and forth to work (5 miles
roundtrip) and take it to parades and shows during the weekends so I don't
do any serious driving.  I want to stay with an automatic trans and do some
light cruising.

>From what I can tell (bought the truck this summer) the rearend is fine.
Bearings, brakes are good and no excessive slop from driveshaft to the
wheels.  I want to keep the OE suspension stock for now (although I may
replace the front springs with a monoleaf to lower the front end and improve
ride/handling).  Friends keep telling me to go the IFS-route on the front
and put a 4-link rear suspension with a 9-inch Ford rear and disk brakes all
the way around but I'm not that serious a driver right now to drop the bucks
for this (only put 500 miles on my ride from June through September).

Thanks again,

Carl
'56 Stepside