Re: [oletrucks] tail lights on my '59

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tail lights on my '59
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:27:25 -0700
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:22:07 -0400
> From: Truck Guy <chevy620@juno.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] tail lights on my '59
>
> I've replaced just about everything electrical in my truck over the last
> few weeks and everything seems to be working ok.  Only one problem, with
> the tail lamps I'm using I have the brake lights and turn signals on the
> same circuit, which puts the turn signals in series every time I turn
> them on causing 4 way flashers.  I've tried as many ways as I can think
> of to hook them both up without this happening with no success.  The
> lights I want to use have one white light for the reverse and the rest of
> the lights have to go to a dual filament bulb that powers a red light.
> Any ideas?
>
> Nate
>
> 1959 Chevy Apache 3600
> 1960 Chevy Apache 3/4 ton (future project)

Nate--

I really don't understand what you're saying...but I'll try to explain
how it should be connected.

The way that tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals are supposed to
work, is:

One wire goes to the tail light filaments, one on each side of the
truck.  This is the dim red light, usually it's the black or brown wire
in the dual filament socket.

One wire goes to the right brake/turn signal light filament.  Another
wire goes to the left side brake/turn signal filament.  These filaments
are the bright red lights, usually the red, white, or green wire in the
dual filament socket.

If you have both brake lights connected to the same circuit, then you
can't have the turn signals working properly!  because you need a right
and a left.

The turn signal switch should have 6 wires, they are (with Chevy oem
wire color codes):

Brake light power in--white
Turn signal flasher power in--yellow
Right Front out--dark blue
Left Front out--light blue
Right Rear out--purple
Left Rear out--pink

The colors for the rear turn signal wires changed in the early 60s, to
yellow and green, I recall...

If you have a non-original turn signal switch, which does not have
separate wires for front/rear turn signals, then you need to add another
light on each side at the back, or get a different turn signal switch.
Many of the olden days turn signal kits had add-on lights, and only 3
wires on the switch (flasher power, right, left).

Hope this gets you started...

Jim F
59s in AZ