Re: [oletrucks] Body & Paint Job

To: "Michael Mendonca" <mm@service-quality.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Body & Paint Job
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:21:02 -0500
$10,000 for a body/paint job??? I'm in wrong business! $60/hr?? Sheesh,
prices high there? For that kinda money you can buy a completed truck, even
rodded all done pretty and be driving right now!  I'ld say your Nuts!

> I'm just about ready to go out and get some bids on my '54 Chevy 1/2 ton 5
window and would like some advice from the group.  > I have all the body
parts and hardware off the truck and have had all parts professionally
stripped (mineral blasted) and primed black.  Of course there are plenty of
dents (virtually all of them are smaller than a baseball) and some panel
waves but the truck has obviously never been in any sort of a wreck.  The
rear cab corners are gone but I have the replacement panels. Also, the PO
had some fancy mirrors on the doors which required some extra holes that I'd
like covered up.

> I will be replacing the rear fenders with repro's and will plan on doing
the inside of the cab, under the hood and engine compartment including
firewall.  I had the guy come out who did the blasting and priming as he
also does body work and paint at $60.00/hour.  He estimated $10,000 for the
job which requires me to do some other work like the 1,000 grit sand,
cleaning in prep for the paint, etc...all of which I have no problems doing.

> His (and therefore mine) dilemma is that he said it's difficult to know
when/where to stop as for 10 grand, it will be very nice, but not perfect.
I believe I trust his judgment on this but the other problem is that he
probably can't get to it for nearly a year.