Re: [oletrucks] 3 Point Seat Belts for 57 3100

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3 Point Seat Belts for 57 3100
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:40:22 -0700
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:22:00 -0600
> From: "R Welch" <rwelch@bartnet.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3 Point Seat Belts for 57 3100
>
> I have not done it yet, but on my 56 TF I was going to investigate welding a
> nut onto a piece of square tubing long enough so I could hold it from the
> bottom (and retrieve it if necessary) of the post cavity.  I think if one
> experiments a little with tubing sizes it would be a pretty tight fit and
> provide some reinforcement - although I'm not sure if its enough.  This
> method would only require drilling a hole in the post for the seat belt
> attachment.  If this method is successful, I think one would also want to
> wrap the tubing with something so it doesn't rattle inside the body.  Would
> be interested in hearing others solution to this problem.
>
> - -Bob

I have to do this soon also.  Here's my plan:

First, play around with the belt to see where the upper attatchment
should be.  Get comfy, and look at other vehicles to see where the belt
goes over your shoulder.  When you figure out the attatching point,
drill the hole for the bolt thru the sheetmetal.  Then, make a plate of
1/8" steel, perhaps 4" x 8" or thereabouts.  Bend it to fit the curve of
the inner panel, centered on the bolt hole (if possible, or offset as
necessary).  Drill several holes in the sheetmetal, which will be
covered from behind by the plate.  Drill a hole in the plate, and weld a
nut on the backside.  Then, put the plate in place behind the
sheetmetal, and weld rosettes thru the hols in the sheetmetal.

Hopefully you can understand this description!  Basically, what happens
is that the load from the seat belt attatching point gets spread out
over a large area of the sheetmetal, so the bolt won't pull thru in case
of accident.

Jim F
59s in AZ