[oletrucks] got the truck running

To: "Old Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] got the truck running
From: "Bruce Marshall" <k1aj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:33:28 -0500
Last week I posted a note asking for advise on getting my 'new' 216 engine
started in my '51 1/2 ton p/u.  I happy to report that we got the engine
fired up this week.  I was getting weak/no spark at the plugs and it turned
out to be bad ignition wires.  I replaced them with a new set.  We also
replace the battery (old one was not cranking the engine over very fast),
new #1 gauge positive and negative battery cables (the old ones were 12 volt
size crap) and improved the ground between the frame, body and engine block.

We after all of that we removed the plugs and squirted a little Mystery Oil
in each cylinder and turned the engine over with the plugs out.  Compression
seems real good and everything turned freely.  Actually the engine turned
freely before with the old battery albeit a LOT slower.

Well, we then installed the plugs and fired things up...vavavoom it started
right up!

The only problem now is the battery doesn't seem to be charging.  The
generator is newly rebuilt.  Maybe I need to polarize it???  Could that be
the problem?

Bruce Marshall