Re: [oletrucks] Fenton Headers

To: "Dana Muise" <dana@spazzco.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fenton Headers
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:49:08 -0800
All,

I installed Fentons on my 235 with an Offie intake. I had to do quite a bit
of grinding on the exhaust headers to match the pads for the hold-down
bolts with those on the Offie manifold. Several hours of fit-and-try were
required. It was well worth the effort in terms of increased performance.

As far as manifold heat, It is necessary for the street. You can make a
plate for the bottom of the stock intake manifold with two holes drilled
and tapped to accept pipe fittings. Run tubing to the pipe-threaded holes
in the Fentons provided for the purpose. It's not hard to do. Took me an
hour to make one. Works fine in both hot and cold, damp weather. We have
lots of damp in Seattle.

Depending on where you live, you should look at a way to reduce carburetor
icing. If you use a heat insulator under the carb  for hot weather to
prevent vapor lock, you will experience carb icing even with manifold heat.
I've had this problem for years even with the stock setup. As I only use
the truck for long trips, I've learned to live with it but If I used it for
short hops I'd find some way to alleviate it.

-Tom

At 01:39 PM 11/11/01 -0800, Dana Muise wrote:
>I'm considering installing Fenton Headers on my '59 Chevy 235, but I can't
>afford one of those cool "Offie" intake manifolds. If I stick with the
>original intake, the exhaust heat will no longer warm up carb flow. I found
>someone who makes a custom bullet heat exchange for Fenton headers. It
>redirects heat to a bolt on heat plate on the intake. Is this system really
>necessary or can I run without it?
>P.S. Does any one have any good or bad feed back about Fenton headers compared
>to other inline headers?
>-Thanks

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA