[oletrucks] 73-87 PU IFS

To: <my51truck@eudoramail.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] 73-87 PU IFS
From: "Squatch56" <Squatch56@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:38:58 -0800
Dave,
Just a quick note to tell you that I Have seen the IFS swap you are talking
about done in a 54 Chevy PU.  It is do-able.  I did a similar installation of
a 76 Chevy Van IFS into a 55 Chevy Stepside.  The wider frame of the 55-59
requires the wider Van IFS.  The Narrower 47-55 1st can use the PU  IFS.  The
problem I had with the Van IFS, was it raised the truck 4 inches.  I was
wanting to lower it and instead I jacked it up. Although I had the option of
using dropped springs and/or dropped spindles to gain the desired effect, I
chose not to. When I saw the guy with the 54 with the PU IFS, I talked to him,
and according to him, the PU IFS into the AD Truck is a much easier setup that
the Van.  In the end, I ended up selling the 55, The guy that bought it was
excited about it having IFS and didn't care about the Height.   My next three
subframes were 79 Nova; in my 56 Cameo, 73 Chevy Stationwagon IFS & Rear coil
setup; in a 55 Cameo, and 80 Plymouth Volare'; in my 56 Chevy Panel, all of
which had their own advantages, and I was much happier with.  (I also assisted
on a Corvair IFS into a 34 Chevy Coupe)  I did these when I was running my
shop, which I don't have anymore.  I only work on MY stuff now, but I did gain
a lot of knowledge and experience from it.
Hope this Helps!!!

                 Rob
         The "ToonMan"
    Creator of the Cartoons
          "Squatch" and
         "Chuck & Arbee"

   SASQUATCH   ARTWORKS
   Custom Automotive Cartoons
 www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art

               Info Courtesy Of
 ROBS  ROD  SHOPPE
   'FIXING WHAT AINT BROKE!'

Rob Butler
Milwaukie, OR
56 Chevy Cameo.........Subframed, Stock Bodied Custom, Turquoise
56 Chevy Panel...........Subframed 50's Custom, Purple
77 GMC 'Jimmy' 4X4.....5 inch lift, winch, extra lights, etc. Black
78 Chevy Shortwide.....Lowered and Scalloped Cruiser, Baby Blue