[oletrucks] rust removal/galvanizing

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] rust removal/galvanizing
From: "BKN" <oldtrucknut@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:55:01 -0800
Here's an off the wall question:
I was considering having the cab,doors, hood and front fenders of my 51
"dipped" to remove rust, but unfortunately, while extremely thorough this
process is also very expensive ($1100+).
A buddy of mine suggested that I take the parts to a local galvanizing plant;
I called and they said that they would also dip the pieces for rust removal,
then galvanize the entire thing. It sounded crazy until he told me that the
whole thing would cost around $50-$75, and short of the galvanized metal all
over the cab, would basically be the same thing (both will remove all rust and
any plastic filler in the dipped pieces).
Does this sound like a good idea?  I guess my biggest concern would be
painting (when I get to that point); any idea if paint will adhere to
galvanized metal?
If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate your opinion. Also, if this is
a viable option, what would I need to do for paint prep?
Thanks