Re: [oletrucks] body work

To: <AllenHeiden@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] body work
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:13:22 -0800
I think anyone that can take the time to prep the area for a close fit with
the donor panel and welds in short burst "spot welds" allowing the metal to
cool to avoid warping the metal can do the job.

If your welding by yourself, you might want to invest in some Cleco
fasteners to secure the patch panel in place while you make your initial
tack welds so the panel doesn't move.

Asking the welding supply co. for a small container of a product that
absorbs the heat from welding to help avoid panel warpage.  It comes in a
little plastic container and it's like putty that you place close to the
weld area and it absorbs the heat ...something like "fence heat".  If you'll
alternate your welds from side to side and let the metal cool in between
welding you can avoid warping the panels.

Another item that helps with butt welding panels it to back up the back of
the seam with some brass strap.  The weld doesn't stick to the brass and it
helps to prevent burn through as well as absorbing some heat.

I weld with a mig welder and when I'm doing panel repairs, I switch my
welding spool to a .023 wire which is a smaller a diameter then my regular
.035 wire.  The smaller wire takes less heat to melt and that means less
heat to the metal.

What area's are you planning to install patch panels?

Joe